Party Wall Act

Since the Party Wall etc Act 1996 came into force, property owners in England and Wales have had a procedure to follow when building work has an effect on a Party Wall.

The purpose of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is to minimise disputes by making sure property owners use a Party Wall surveyor to determine how work is carried out. The Act also protects adjoining property owners that may be affected by the work but at the same time prevents them from frustrating the process.

The Act regulates the relationship between neighbouring owners concerned with specific types of construction works on, or in close proximity to, the boundary between adjoining properties.

A Party Wall or Structure separates neighbouring properties and necessitates the need to comply with the provisions of the Act.

If you are planning on starting work which will have an effect on the Party Wall you must get your neighbour’s agreement before you commence. Usually this is in the form of a Party Wall Award prepared by a Party Wall Surveyor (you cannot act for yourself).

Hodgson Elkington has an expert Party Wall Surveyor providing Party Wall advice and Party Wall Awards.

More information

For more information about our Valuation services please contact:

Tim Shaw

01522 698989


Contact details

Follow Us on Twitter (@hodelk)

Postal Address

Hodgson Elkington LLP
1 Oakwood Road,
Doddington Road,
Lincoln, LN6 3LH,
United Kingdom

Commercial Agency

01522 698888

Commercial Property Management

01522 698989

Block Management

01522 814662


01522 814699

Site Map